Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Be Careful What You Wish For....

Ok so I have been on the potty training express since my son turned 2 last year. With the help of his daycare we started him on pull-ups and then just transitioned to big boy underwear right around June of 2007 figuring its summer and isn't that the best time to potty train b/c they can run around in their bathing suits/underwear all day long and who cares if they pee in the bushes?!?! Well by August I was able to declare victory in the peeing department. Finally 8 months later we are FULLY AND COMPLETLEY potty trained...Yes folks it took 8 long months to get Mauricio to poop on the potty. And believe me it wasn't for lack of trying because I tried everything in the book; stickers, reward charts, candy, bribes, toys, books, puzzles, the potty in front of the tv, bubbles, everything. I devoured potty training articles like I devour chocolate! I visited every conceivable internet site for advice and what did I find NOTHING!!! Oh sure there is plenty of advice out there for getting them to pee but nothing really on the poop side. The only piece of advice I heard and read over and over was don't push him until he's ready.

Well after enduring 4 months were my little stinker would ask for his pull-up so that he could poop and then go stand in a corner do his business, declare that he was finished and could we give him his bath I finally had enough! I took an old pull-ups box from my parents house, and filled it with the remaining pull-ups and made a big huge deal about throwing the box away and showing him the remaining stack of pull-ups. Then I made an even bigger deal on how the stack was dwindling and once the pull-ups were gone that's it they were gone. Finally we used the last pull-up or so I thought. Like an addict my son had a secret stash?!?! I found his stash which was in his overnight grandma bag and got rid of those....and waited. The whole weekend went by and nothing. Monday morning he tells me his tummy hurts and I tell him its because he hasn't gone to the bathroom and he needs to go poop. Well he sits on the toilet counts to 5 and then declares "my tummy doesn't hurt anymore, I don't have to poop." Ok buddy off to daycare for you. I pick him up from daycare and again we have a tummy ache and he sits and nothing so I tell him we need to go get medicine....We go to the nearest drugstore and I give him a Pedia-lax and one hour later after many trips to the potty, more tears than I care to remember on by him and by me and unsolicited advice...SUCCESS!!

The next few days were rough because going to the bathroom was a huge ordeal. My aunt gave me the best advice and said to give him a teaspoon of mineral oil daily. So now we are totally in control and free to use the potty....BUT NOW WE WANT COMPANY EVERYTIME WE GO!!! I went from a child who refused to sit on the toilet to one that is pooping more than a pigeon! So therefore I no longer wish for Marcela to start walking....because then I will never be able to sit down!!

No comments: